Yogi Adityanath Affect: 300 plus arrests, bulldozers… silence – 10 points
Silence prevailed in most parts of Uttar Pradesh on Sunday following the stern action by Yogi Adityanath administration against the alleged rioters in the state. The Yogi Adityanath administration, using strong-arm tactics, arrested more than 300 riot accused from accused the state. The police also invoked the National Security Act against the accused who were allegedly indulged into damaging the property and arsoning. The illegal properties of at least three accused were raged – 1 in Prayagraj and two in Saharanpur.
Here are top 10 updates on Adityanath administration’s update:
1) The Uttar Pradesh Police has so far arrested over 300 people from eight districts of the state in connection with Friday’s violence during protests against the controversial remarks of suspended BJP functionary Nupur Sharma on Prophet Mohammad.
2) Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Prashant Kumar said, “As many as 304 persons have been arrested from eight districts of the state, and 13 cases have been registered in this connection in nine districts of the state.” Elaborating further, Kumar said, “91 persons have been arrested in Prayagraj, followed by 71 in Saharanpur, 51 in Hathras, 34 each in Ambedkar Nagar and Moradabad, 15 in Firozabad, six in Aligarh and two in Jalaun.”
3) Of the 13 cases, three cases each were registered in Prayagraj and Saharanpur, and one each in Firozabad, Ambedkar Nagar, Moradabad, Hathras, Aligarh, Lakhimpur Kheri and Jalaun, the senior officer said.
4) Accused’s house demolished in Prayagraj: The Prayagraj Development Authority (PDA) on Sunday demolished the house of Javed Ahmad, alias Pump, the alleged mastermind of Friday’s violence here, amid a heavy police deployment.
5) Accused’s house demolished in Saharanpur: A day earlier, the properties of two people accused of rioting were demolished in Saharanpur where stone-pelting had taken place as well.
6) UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, who has often spoken of how under his rule the state has been rid of frequent riots, issued a stern warning on Saturday. “Strictest action will be taken against the anti-social elements involved in the chaotic efforts to spoil the atmosphere in various cities in the past few days,” he said while issuing directives to officials. “There is no place for such anti-social people in a civilised society. No innocent should be harassed, but not a single guilty should be spared,” he said.
7) Media advisor’s cryptic tweet: In a tweet in Hindi, Mrityunjay Kumar, the media advisor to the chief minister, on Saturday had said, “Unruly elements remember, every Friday is followed by a Saturday” and posted a photo of a bulldozer demolishing a building.
8) Under Adityanath, the state administration has been cracking down on criminals and riot accused, seizing or razing their properties. His critics have often accused him of adopting strong-arm tactics.
9) On Friday, people pelted stones at police personnel in Prayagraj and Saharanpur during their protests after Friday prayers in mosques.
At least four other cities witnessed similar scenes during the marches that were carried out to protest the controversial remarks on Prophet Mohammad made by now-suspended BJP spokesperson Nupur Sharma.
10) Sharma was suspended by the BJP as several Islamic nations denounced her comments on the Prophet during a TV debate.